Y’all it’s hard to go wrong with chocolate… unless you are one of the aliens that doesn’t like chocolate. And, then well, we can still be friends because you won’t eat all the chocolate! ha ha ha! But seriously, these scones are so yummy, super easy and full of chocolatey goodness. It’s like the trifecta of recipe awesome-sauce! My love for scones started with this recipe… well, actually, maybe before then, but when I saw how easy they were to make, I was hooked! Please don’t be intimidated, I promise, they are super easy (but that can be our little secret, it’s ok if you let your family believe you slaved for hours over them!)!
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder with a fork. At this point stir in your mini chocolate chips (and go ahead and snitch a few… you know you want to!). Melt the butter in the microwave, add milk to the butter to help cool it. Add milk butter combo and egg yolk to flour mixture and begin stirring until it starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and comes together. (Please, please, please do not be intimidated by the way this sounds… this recipe is super easy and once you try it you will be hooked!). When the dough starts pulling together, dump it out (technical term, seriously, just turn your bowl over and dump) on to a floured surface and roll it into a smooth blob (again, you will see once you start making). After the blob has become smooth, divide into three equal smaller blobs and roll into balls. Smoosh the balls into circles that are about 1 1/2 inches thick and then cut into eighths with a pizza cutter. At this point, it will look like a small pizza or pie type of circle. Place these triangles onto a lightly greased cookie sheet or a well seasoned stone (I prefer a stone but either will work). Bake at 450 for 11-13 minutes. Move to a wire rack to cool. At this point, if you have way more self control than I do, you can freeze the scones and drizzle them later… usually after the smell of the baking scones fills my house, I can barely wait to dive into the first one!
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP baking soda
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg – separated.
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Melt butter.
- Add milk to the butter to help cool butter.
- Add milk/butter mixture and egg yolk to flour mixture.
- Combine until it pulls away from side of bowl.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and kneed until smooth.
- Divide dough into three balls and roll out into circles that are 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Cut circles into eighths.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and back at 450 for 11 - 13 minutes.
- Move to wire rack for cooling.
- Heat remaining 1 cup chocolate chips until melted.
- Drizzle on top of cooled scones.